discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Gas Power Tools Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-29-2002, 21:21 Post: 44404
IRTEXN

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 What kind of Chainsaw to buy

Looking for feedback on chainsaws. I need to get one to clean up my place. Mostly large (2"Wink yeah right brush, cutting a couple of scrubby trees that will never amount to anything and also a couple of dead ones that need to come down. Nothing over 14 - 16" in dia. I have looked to Stihl, Echo, Poulan and Sears 16" saws. Teh Sithl and Echo seem to be the Caddilacs of the bunch, but I'm not sure I'll get the $100+ worth of use. Any help here would be appreciated

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 10-29-2002, 23:46 Post: 44411
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

There are a number of options certainly a bow saw would work to trim them down and cut them up but would take some time. If you have access to electrical power you might consider an electric chain saw.
I personally I have Husqvarnas. They are a good saw for a professional but more expensive than most.

10-30-2002, 05:44 Post: 44415
Billy

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Why not go to Wally World and buy the cheapest Poulan they have. If you're not going to be using it much, cheap will be much better.

By the way, Poulan makes Sears and most Husqvarnas, along with many other brand names.

Billy

10-30-2002, 06:00 Post: 44417
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I have only owned Stihl chainsaws. I once bought an inexpensive gas powered Brand for my Dad because he only wanted to cut the occasional Limb. After we got it and used it we found that cheap is cheap, and ease of use was just not there. In fact it was so bad it just sat around until after years it was thrown out.

Of course that was a long time ago, and some of the low end brands may have improved somewhat.

A chainsaw is fundamentally a dangerous tool, so buying one that you feel comfortable with is important. Because of this I usually buy the more expensive saws. When you pay more you get "Lighter weight" for size, and more importantly a "balanced saw".

If you buy an unwieldly saw operator fatique leads to sloppiness which leads to accidents. Poor saw design leads to improper saw setup, which leads to frustration and accidents.

Unfortuantely, chainsaw accidents are very unforgiving. So my too cents is to spend a little extra, you are not buying a weed wacker, this is a serious tool. I think the bottom end Stihl is around $200.

DennisCTB
TractorPoint.com

PS

I have a 16" Limb saw, and an 18" saw that weighs about 10 pounds. Both have the super tooth aggressive design that gives more kickback if you make a misstake. Both are balanced so that with one finger on the handle the saw is parallel to the ground in all directions, this is a good test you should try in the store. Even though both are balanced the 16" limb saw is vastly easier to use and I can cut much longer with it than the 18" saw. So if you have limited use I would definitely stay with the 16".

10-30-2002, 06:06 Post: 44418
Billy

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Before I'd spend 200 bucks on something you might use once a year around the house, I would go electric (as Peters mentioned).

Billy

10-30-2002, 07:45 Post: 44428
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I have a Husky 257 with a 16" bar. It has more power and about half the weight of a formerly well known 20" yellow thing I bought at a box store. The yellow thing was so aggravating that I was going to throw it into the dump but gave it to a neighbour for his yard sale. Now I've probably cursed somebody else with it. I don't think the yellow thing company is in the chainsaw buz any longer and deservedly so but the name has popped up on hand tools.

I had an electric in the city. It was inexpensive and worked well, but you do have to plug them in. It's common around here to throw a chain saw in the truck when traveling on logging roads because you never know if a tree is going to be across the road. No plugs there. If I was going cheap and had a plug available I'd probably stick with an electric. But then, I'm left-handed and chain-saws seem to be designed for right-handed people so maybe I'm particular. I'd rather flip a switch than yank left-handed on a right-handed saw that's hard to start. There are safety issues for left-handed people as well.

I think I heard that Wallyworld has it's own specs and some manufacturers produce what might seem like the same models in several lines but of various quality. I don't know but that might be true for Poulin, but I've always heard the Poulin is a good choice for inexpensive chainsaws. I've also heard that Husky or Stihl are the choices for more expensive saws. However, I've also heard that Stihl may be making a box store line, but its pro models are the same high quality as always.

10-30-2002, 08:35 Post: 44433
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've got one of those yellow things. Mac 610. Bought it at JC Penny in 1979. It will not die. I have left it outside, dropped it off the truck, left the same gas in it for two years, cut down some real big trees and started it in sub 0 weather. I have never even changed or cleaned the spark plug. I wouldn't mind getting another saw but I can't do that until I figure out a way to kill this one.

10-30-2002, 08:59 Post: 44435
DavesTractor

Mark, my father in law has an older Mac. They made a good machine back then. He just recently ran over it with his trailer. He says it was an accident, but I'm thinking he was just ready for a new saw. I once bought a cheapy and it caused me a bunch of frustration and lost time. I now have a small Stihl for trimming and a larger one for the big stuff. My little Stihl is an 011 model, and I have cut three cords a year for 12 years with it with very little maintenance. As with all tools, buy good ones. If you do decide to go cheap, I have heard that many people are satisfied with the Wally World Poulans.

10-30-2002, 09:01 Post: 44436
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Something I use more than the chain saw is a folding japanese pruning saw. You would have to experience this tool to believe how sharp it is. I cut through 2" stuff in 15 seconds. Just broke an inch and a half off the tip yesterday cutting through a 5" cedar tree so I will be looking for a new one today.
Click the link for pics. If you get one you will not be sorry.

Link:   Click Here 

10-30-2002, 11:40 Post: 44444
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Mark, I have a Mac 610 of about the same vintage. Dad bought it new when we started heating with wood; he never used it much because he had a bunch of old "yard-sale" saws that he fixed up he would rather use. He'd carry on old Remington saw and a whole tool kit before he'd use the new saw. He gave it to me last year. I used it a lot until I got a little Husky (136); it's their smallest saw but adequate for probably 1/2 of my firewood needs. It sure is smoother than the big Mac.
Bill

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Gas Power Tools Forum

Thread 44404 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 1 | Art White 2 | BillMullens 1 | Billy 4 | buck 1 | Chief 6 | DavesTractor 1 | DennisCTB 1 | DH83 1 | DonM 1 | DRankin 12 | firefighter 1 | getrdun 1 | Hal DeWitt 1 | homedad5acre 2 | IRTEXN 2 | JAZAK5 2 | jeff r 2 | Jim on Timberridge 1 | kwschumm 3 | Kyle_in_Tex 1 | matt4200jd 1 | Misenplace 4 | Murf 3 | Pacesetter 1 | pdavepennell 1 | Peters 8 | powellvalley 1 | Steve in Buffalo NY 1 | tctx 1 | TomG 9 | wigglybridge 2 | WillieH 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - House Fire Near Me
House Fire Near Me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What kind of Chainsaw to buy
+ How do you sharpen chain saw chain
+ Burnt up stihl 290 chain saw 4 months old
+ Honda Gx270 Will not start Stumped
+ Log Splitter Injury
+ Gas Trimmers
+ Log splitter review recommendations
+ Stihl 026 chain saw does not start
+ Chainsaw sharpening woe s