discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Gas Power Tools Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [ 8 ] |      << Prev

11-18-2003, 09:21 Post: 69009
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 What kind of Chainsaw to buy

Thanks Murf. I will try that. Those chains run a buck per bar-inch and are worth saving.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-18-2003, 09:26 Post: 69010
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mark, VERY glad to hear you got the safety stuff and it worked for you. The chaps can be a pain in the butt sometimes especially when it is hot outside. The helmet is probably the best safety dollar spent as kick back will happen to everyone sooner or later. Better to have a groove cut in the bill of your helmet instead of your forehead. I would suggest a 24" bar and chain for later on use. You will GREATLY appreciate it when it comes time to sharpen the chain. Wink yeah right You'll have to show us some pics or your wood pile and chiropractor's bill after you split it all. Wink yeah right

11-18-2003, 10:46 Post: 69012
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I guess I never saw the use of the helment unless you are falling or it is raining. If the long bar saw kicks back at high RPM it will certainly knock it off your head or cut through it.
One of the reasons that we only worked 6 hour days falling the big stuff was that you need to have a tight grip on saw and be ever aware that it can kick at any moment.
Glad to here that the chaps worked and saved injury. After years working in the woods using my falling pants and never touching them. I cut the Husky pair cutting fire wood. I set the saw on my knee to rest and it had not stopped moving.
In some ways the smaller saws are more dangerous as people tend to use them like electric knives with one hand. Two hands and tight grip is always needed on a saw.
I tend to use chains down to their last and keep the saw sharp at all times. I file every tank when cutting hard wood. I file both cutters and rakers so their is little left of the chain when finished.
About 12-15 cord per chain is right although a little difficult to estimate as I run 2 saws and use one for limbing and the other falling and bucking.

11-18-2003, 12:38 Post: 69018
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I never had much use for hard hats either till site rules demanded FULL protection.

After ten minutes of use I realized they're REALLY handy, but not from a nock on the noodle point-of-view, they keep the chips out of your hair and from going down your neck, they hold the screen face mask, and when you mount the hearing protectors to them they can be easily flipped off without losing them.

As for the chainsaw itself, I've got the best ones available now, they come with young men with strong backs to use them for me, the splitter and chipper are now so 'equipped' too. Great option.

Best of luck.

11-18-2003, 23:42 Post: 69067
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Murf, I hear ya...

I have a sixteen year old who came by looking for work so I hired him to hump the firewood I was cutting.

He has to take a run at it to fling it in the truck, but I bet he doesn't need any aspirin when he gets home.

11-19-2003, 07:17 Post: 69078
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Oh yes I remember chips down the neck real well before I got the helmet. The ear mufs help hold it on my head as well but who knows, I might turn into VanGogh if I ever get a serious kickback. I've also yet to have a serious dead limb fall on me while felling but of course that's the reason for hard hats.

The face shield also was very good on fire crew for sticking my whole head into the bottoms of spruce trees so I could grub and use a backpack pump close to the trunks. I was doing so well I suppose that's why I got stuck with grubbing all day. I bought a new style hat for fire crew use last summer and I like it much better than my chain saw hat of the township issued fire hats. It stays in place. Wish I'd have paid for face shield and earmuff mounts but I guess they could be added.

A friend's son started working for a logger this summer. He gashed his ankle a bit. I don't know if was a boot or chaps that stopped most of it. The main problem was cleaning out the gash because the chain took a bunch of chap or boot into the gash. Since he was working for a commercial logger he likely was wearing safety equipment and still got gashed.

11-19-2003, 08:29 Post: 69089
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I didn't think the helmet was necessary for what I was doing per se, but it is a great platform for the ear muffs and the face shield.

I got sprayed several times with high speed bark chips and it was nice not to run the risk of losing control of the saw for reasons such as that.

11-19-2003, 14:22 Post: 69122
wigglybridge

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Another reason I actually love my helmet/screen/muffs and chaps is that I can go charging through pretty nasty brush with complete impunity. Sometimes causes me a setback when I don't have the stuff on and forget that, though!

As mentioned, the main reason for the helmet is stuff falling on you. After 4 years here, I'm still cleaning up throws from a tornado that came through just before we moved in, and that helmet has saved me some end-of-story knocks in the midst of the messes...

11-19-2003, 15:04 Post: 69124
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Another good reason for grubbing out brush from the cab of a diesel-powered 'chainsaw' ....

11-20-2003, 06:43 Post: 69161
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Around here 'widow makers' are dead limbs up high on mostly white pine. Bump a tree with equipment and down they come. That's why skidders have steel cages, but I'd not saying anything new.

In my fire story, the real grubbing was done by a dozer (without a cage). The only trouble was that the operator ran the fire line outside where we parked our trucks and then continued around one side of the fire. Sparks jumped a meadow and caught needles underneath a stand of small trees near the parking area. Oh man about a half dozen of us were grubbing and backpack pumping for all we were worth until the water bomber showed up and another hose line was run. Half the people there were on the other side of the fire and probably had their truck keys in their pockets. I didn't think of that at the time but I'm going to bring it up next fire meeting--leave keys in the ignition when at a fire scene.

Good thing the tornado went through before you moved in. Helmets are better when cleaning up than when experiencing one. There's still a bunch of throw near here where something called a lateral burst went through about five years ago. A lateral burst is a 'straight tornado.' Somebody must have given it coffee.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [ 8 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Gas Power Tools Forum

Thread 44404 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 1 | Art White 2 | BillMullens 1 | Billy 4 | buck 1 | Chief 6 | DavesTractor 1 | DennisCTB 1 | DH83 1 | DonM 1 | DRankin 12 | firefighter 1 | getrdun 1 | Hal DeWitt 1 | homedad5acre 2 | IRTEXN 2 | JAZAK5 2 | jeff r 2 | Jim on Timberridge 1 | kwschumm 3 | Kyle_in_Tex 1 | matt4200jd 1 | Misenplace 4 | Murf 3 | Pacesetter 1 | pdavepennell 1 | Peters 8 | powellvalley 1 | Steve in Buffalo NY 1 | tctx 1 | TomG 9 | wigglybridge 2 | WillieH 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - 1200A Secondary Cap Screw
1200A Secondary Cap Screw

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What kind of Chainsaw to buy
+ How do you sharpen chain saw chain
+ Burnt up stihl 290 chain saw 4 months old
+ Honda Gx270 Will not start Stumped
+ Log Splitter Injury
+ Gas Trimmers
+ Log splitter review recommendations
+ Stihl 026 chain saw does not start
+ Chainsaw sharpening woe s