discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [ 5 ] | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

02-16-2005, 12:35 Post: 106232
brokenarrow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Shooting at Mall in Kingston

AV8
Yes I was. I meant the state and not the state's voters.
Conceal and carry or not, I really dont give a dam. If I am in a situation that I would need a gun, I sure as heck would not want to be saying to myself, "Darn I wish I would of had the gun" As I get my head blowed off.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-17-2005, 06:43 Post: 106266
kyvette

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

A few weeks ago in Kentucky, Lexington I believe, a couple of guys broke in a house, assaulted the wife, took what valuables they had and left. Afterwards, the man of the house graped his gun and begin firing as they drove away, hitting a neighbor's house.

This person is now in jail on wanton and endangerment charges. This was a stupid move, too many cops movies, and he probably hadn't been trained on proper use of a firearm.

I don't blame him for wanting to go after the guys who robbed him and assaulted his wife, but he mishandled the situation, and provides more fuel for the anti-gun people.

02-18-2005, 00:39 Post: 106340
NHDaveD

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I guess training is a big part of that picture but, so is the ability to keep a cool head and to think under pressure. Why is it that many people who are "trained" and have a license to operate a motor vehicle know how to get their car out of a skid in the winter snows and others just make it worse. The same applies to many other things in life , including the use of firearms.

I've never hunted or owned a gun, haven't even fired one since I was a Boy Scout many, many years ago (make that many, many, many - its my birthday ;o) ). However, I STONGLY support the rights of law abiding citizens to do so. I told my wife that I may join the NRA if only because they are one of the few groups fighting for the rest of us to keep those rights.

When the loss of those rights get any closer I may buy some various firearms and they will be the un-registered, un-traceable type. This way when the government comes after the law abiding citizens to turn them in it won't be only the criminals that have them. Don't think that it won't happen. It already has in the USA pertaining to certain types of "assault" weapons. Even Police Officers who had them registered in their own personal collections were forced to turn them in.

Earlier discussion in this thread had some liberal psyco bable about big cities and a different way of life and how if you got rid of guns crime would go down. Well guess what - it ain't true. I grew up in a big city and I'm no murderer. I learned how to avoid trouble, how to work out my differences without shooting anyone. All that mumbo-jumbo about the poor inner city folks is just excuses - the crutch that the liberal thinking keeps giving them - the poor babies they don't know of any other way to take care of themselves.

And as far as more guns = more violence - I believe the equation is more closely like this: more guns in the criminals hands + less jail time - guns in law abiding citizens hands = more violence. There is some truth to an eye for an eye. The way to do away with bullying is to let the good guys smack the bullies up side the head. After a few times they figure out its not worth picking on the little kids anymore.

One last word. In the last several years when (I might have the countries wrong but, I don't think so) when England and Australia made their law abiding citizens turn in their previously registered legal firearms guess what happened? Home invasions rose dramatically because, after all, those smart criminals knew that the law abiding citizens, that are their usual victims, couldn't shoot them anymore!

Thanks for letting me rant and rave. It sure feels good.

02-18-2005, 08:30 Post: 106350
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I would suggest you join the NRA and/or Gun Owner's of America now. The loss of those rights have not stopped, only slowed. If and when you buy (and properly learn to shoot) a gun, I'm warning you, as Zel Miller puts it, "I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want." is a true statement. ;^)

02-18-2005, 08:55 Post: 106358
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

NHDaveD, I second StephenR's reply. I am a Benefactor Life Member of the NRA and have been a member for over 25 years. The NRA does a LOT of very important political lobbying to protect our 2nd, 4th, and 5th ammendment rights not to mention offer some very good benefits in addition to their monthing magazines. They offer a very reasonably priced excess liabiltity insurance for hunting AND self defense. The NRA also works very hard to protect hunting in general. I would urge you to join up now. We need all of the supporters we can muster.

02-18-2005, 09:15 Post: 106362
NHDaveD

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

StephenR and 2ndHandLion thanks - I'll definately look into it.

02-19-2005, 18:05 Post: 106460
jdcman

Filter by User

While we're on this social - civil debate thing, one of my pet gripes is with these folks who make the claim that there's something sacred about the human life form and that humans are some how more entitled / deserving to an existence above all other life forms. Just think about this stupid claim for a while.

Things could be made very simple if folks would just honor the simple rule, "if it doesn't belong to you don't screw with it". That's what I was taught when I was a kid. If you do screw with it there's consequences!

The world population is about 7*10^9, the US is about 300*10^6, (if I remember correctly) --- I'm quite sure a drop in human population of several hundred million would make for better living conditions in general. Imagine a minimum of 10 acres between neighbors. There really are just too many rats in the cage. The crux of most social problems!

Having said all that, a full out gun battle in down town NY probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Wouldn’t be enough life lost to decrease the world population substantially.

02-20-2005, 16:38 Post: 106494
AnnBrush

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Lets all sign up to reduce world population, perhaps we could each donate 1 out of 10 family members for extermination. I guess its OK to get rid of millions if the extermnation is NIMBY (Not in my back yard). Why does that seem so familiar, oh yes the Holocast - 6 million Jews, we will never miss them.

02-20-2005, 20:02 Post: 106511
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

jdcman,
Uh, you're joking, right?

02-20-2005, 21:52 Post: 106519
Archdean

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I just had the first oppurtunity to read this thread in it's entirety!!

Ann said:I am sure everyone on this board is a responsible person and has high respect for the lives of others. These personal attributes are also related to socio-economic status. We are all (most of us) tractor owning, land owning folk, that makes us different from the folks eaking out a living in the city slums. Some of these folks value life differently to us. Arm these folk and you have a recepie for carnage.

I couldn't agree more and I must say the others are right also!!
Do yourselves a favor and re read all that has been posted before this ,,, one of the best threads I have read anywhere!!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [ 5 ] | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 106033 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 9 | Archdean 2 | AV8R 2 | brokenarrow 2 | Chief 4 | denwood 2 | DRankin 3 | dsg 1 | jdcman 3 | kyvette 2 | Murf 4 | ncrunch32 5 | NHDaveD 2 | paulss 1 | shortmagnum 4 | StephenR 8 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ New Implements
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth