discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Trailers Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

04-17-2006, 17:48 Post: 127875
SG8NUC

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

I have a bicycle pump, my wife complains about it being labor intensive. I do offer encourgment, just a few more pumps baby and I will check it again. Laughing out loud I have a compressor at home.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-17-2006, 21:26 Post: 127892
CORNROW

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Well, raising the WD hitch is not really something I can consider. I have it riding maybe an inch or so high when empty, helps when the load is brought on. I use an impact wrench and torque the ball, bolts, etc. on at 300 ft/lb. Adjusting this would mean I'd need to carry the big compressor around on each empty trip. This force can't, at least for me, be broken by hand. I've tried. It does level out when I get up to speed. But I will try the delation trick this week. See how I like it.

04-18-2006, 08:17 Post: 127906
wingwiper

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Corn
Keep the deflation within the specified limits or you may create excessive Heat in the tire and risk a possible blow out. So be careful, but I think it will help.
I did have a Easy Loader trailer as Peters said, and Yes! the axles had slipped and the Ubolts had worked loose, I did have them align and it helped very much. He was right on about that.
Trailer should be level when empty and as level as possible when loaded and if you load your trailer as it is recommended 60% to the front of the axle and 40% to the rear and use the proper equipment etc and be within the Class IV Ball Range, you will always be fine.
Commin sense goes along ways

04-18-2006, 09:01 Post: 127912
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Wing, no I don't have a problem with you, but when you make an inflamatorty statement like saying that raising the coupler when towing an empty trailer will cause it to sway uncontrollably, and could cause the driver to lose control, that is plain wrong and needs to be corrected.

Period.

BTW, "What they do in Canada..." is pretty much the same as they do south of the border, the regulations are pretty much standardized all across North America.

"...actually when the tongue weight exceeds 500 pounds a weight-distributing hitch is recomneded." and this would be when you're towing with what? A Honda Civic?

Best of luck.

04-18-2006, 09:11 Post: 127915
wingwiper

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Murf

If you would even think someone would be towing with a Honda Civic and need a weight distrubting hitch. What is the matter with you? you looking for a confrontation or do like showing your ignorance?
Raising the Ball a foot to eliminate sway is a real dumb suggestion and I will continue to say a real dangerous one. It is an 18 foot trailer and he mentioned 5ooo pound axles with an S. So is it a Low boy type of trailer and if so do you have any idea what the Curb wieght of this trailer is?
I gave all of my supporting info and where I obtained it from, as of yet, you have not done so and only tried to tear what I said apart. I told you it is straight from a Dodge Towing Guide and you still continue to want to be some smart ass. You offer No supporting sources for your claims.
I have a great idea you ignore me for now on and I will ignore you. How is that?

04-18-2006, 09:17 Post: 127916
wingwiper

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Murf

Again you balantly make a statement with no support. Canada does NOT have the same regulations as the U.S. their legal load limits are 120,000 to the U.S. 80,000 and the number of axles allowed is more than the U.S. and the 41 foot Bridge law does not apply in Canada.
What regulations are you refering to Arete versus STOP?? or Quest is West or exactly what do you refer to?
If you can put 500 pounds of tongue weight on a Honda Civic and tow it, I want to watch you. If 500 pounds is the 10% minium that means you are towing a 5000 loaded trailer, quite an accomplishment for a Honda Civic that probably has a 1000 lb towing limit.
Why don't you really ignore me, your replies are quite assidine.

04-18-2006, 09:27 Post: 127917
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Cornrow - I normally carry at least 2 recievers in the truck. If I am sitting 2 high or low I can adjust, by sliding in a different reciever. I do not carry the bar and socket for the 300 lb of torque.
I assume you are towing with a reciever as the bumper will not carry the weight. If you get that much weight on the bumper you will find it flexes adding to the feed back to the truck.

WW - There are considerable differences in the laws in the States. For example I can tow a trailer with a trailer here and people can ride in a fifth wheel here if they have communication with the driver.
Murf has numerous trailers and probably thousands of miles more towing experience than either of us. He works in the States and Canada so has experience with multiple States and Provinces. It is not just a few truck and trailer combinations it is the set up of many.
I was a marine mechanic when I was in High school and we had a dry land boat yard. I learned to drive with a trailer before I learned without. We sold boats so set up numerous boat and trailer combinations. Despite this fact I have learned a few things from Murfs posts on trailers.
As I have written a few books and scientific articles in my time, not everything in the article or book is the truth or fact. I have a couple of college texts with my hand corrections all over them. If you find an expert with an analytical mind like Murf, he generally will not steer you far wrong.

His statement, the higher you raise the tongue of the trailer the less feed back you get to the truck is true, but I have moved empty boat trailers like this and they jump like a bucking bronco. His example was to push it to the extreme. In reality we are talking of an inch or two.

04-18-2006, 09:41 Post: 127919
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

I saw ZERO back up for your statement about raising the tongue causing a lack of control. Please repost it.

My backup, it's called physics, shall I walk you through the math?

Speaking of ignorance, the reference to a Civic was something called being facetious .......

BTW, re-read the whole thread, my suggestion was NOT to raise the hitch a foot to eliminate sway. In fact the only reference to sway was yours.

The question asked was how to stop an EMPTY trailer from JARRING the tow vehicle quite so much.

Yes, I have an idea what an 18' tandem 5k # axle trailer would weigh empty, probably about 2,700 #, at least that's what my BriMar weighs.

BTW, according to Pythagorus, the change of 1' in the hitch height would maens about a 3.81407° change in the attitude of the trailer, assuming the frame rails are structural C channel and it has a steel deck, that might make about a 1/2 pound difference in tongue weight. Given it's starting at about 450 pounds, that would be maybe a little over a tenth of one percent reduction in hitch weight.

Best of luck.

04-18-2006, 09:53 Post: 127922
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

Ok, I was wrong, you were right, now that you pointed out that this guy wants to put 80,000 pounds behind his F150 on a 4 axle 53' highway trailer I agree, it will definitely have a sway problem......

BTW, it is arrêt, and ouest ..... más claro ahora?

Best of luck.

04-18-2006, 10:05 Post: 127924
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Bouncy Trailer

"BTW, according to Pythagorus, the change of 1' in the hitch height would maens about a 3.81407° change in the attitude of the trailer"

Murf,
I'm not usually anal about numbers (sure I'm not) but I think you moved a decimal in your calculation. It's about 0.384 degrees. This only makes your argument stronger.

I agree with you because my empty trailer transmits more bumps to the truck when I have it hooked to the reciever hitch. When I used a higher bumper mounted ball (4-5" higher) I don't even feel the empty trailer back there.
Dave

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Trailers Forum

Thread 127708 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | CORNROW 4 | DRankin 5 | earthwrks 6 | harvey 1 | ksmmoto 1 | Murf 14 | PAR 1 | Peters 5 | SG8NUC 5 | shortmagnum 2 | wingwiper 21 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Electric - LED light bulb hum
LED light bulb hum

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Trailer comes off at 75mph
+ Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor
+ Used Trailers
+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT
+ Bouncy Trailer
+ Question on axles
+ Auto trailer hoist combo idea Nuts
+ Adding hydraulics to dump trailer
+ Truck VS Trailer