discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Website Operations Howto Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

08-17-2003, 08:28 Post: 62000
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

It seems that deere has resolvd that problem Tom with the meter. It will vary a lot regionally with the cost of electricians but labor was $500 to install a proper generac 6 panel switch at the breaker box and then make a major run all the way across the house so I could have my plug in location inside my Garage. Parts and switch were another $500. This allows me to set mt generator just out side my garage door when I run it. So I did consider that costly but worth the expense. The JD Generator uses different plugs. I am currently useing a 20' 30 amp cord into a 120/240 volt recepticle. I think the JD is 20 amp. As far as Ideling the tractor for extended periods I personally do not run my gereator 24/7 when the power is out. Maybe 12 on 2-4 hours off. I would certainly do the same with the tractor. My use will be less than 100 hours a year on my tractor so if we can for conversation sake if we use the plug number of 4k hours to rebuild that seems get tossed around here I have roughly 40 years of use in theory. Laughing out loud, I know its comeing now ! Laughing out loud. So I dont see that in my case the generator will be much of a burden. The tractor is also a heck of a lot quiter than the Generac. I would think this is all relative to how often your power goes out and your "needs". The big power outage here would have been small potatoes if it wouldn't have been 90 degrees out. The biggest problem was people not power. That is my catalyst for switching to Diesel power. Mark H, Thanx for the tip on the generator and the site. It never would have occured to me to click the diamonds. I have contacted my dealer for a price.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-17-2003, 09:26 Post: 62002
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

Here is a little preview of what you are likely to hear back from Deere through your dealer:

"The unit is designed for the X series only and not recommended for any other tractor."

Their reasoning is that the base of the unit is designed with the correct height to sit flat on the ground (the recommended running position) and have a level, horizontal drive line relationship with the rear PTO.

That may not be an issue for you as your tractor has much the same stance and wheel size as the X series. Besides, it would be real easy to add some height to the base to compensate for taller tractors.

Near as I can tell the X series uses the same PTO shaft dimensions and has a Cat 1 hitch. There maybe a difference in the lower arm length between models so I probably would not buy the drive shaft they offer.

It would be easier and probably cheaper to wait until you get the unit and measure the distance and cut a drive shaft to a perfect fit. All it takes is a tape measure and a hacksaw. I have a printed procedure for doing that in my BX manual I would be happy to share.

08-17-2003, 10:21 Post: 62003
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

I would probably just use another shaft from another implement and leave it alone. I could always just bolt the PTO generator down on a wooden pallet and drive the tracor up to it and connect the longer PTO shaft of my rotary mower for instance. I'd add a few weights on the corners of the pallet so it doesn't walk I suppose.

I see they sell units mounted in such a manner only with a more permanent base.

NorthernTools.com has a $999 PTO unit thta makes 12KW. It doesn't include the shaft or mounts but most of us already have a PTO shaft we could use and one could buy or make the mount easy enough.

$999 for 12KW is pretty darn cheap and plenty of power for MOST homes to run everything.

08-17-2003, 12:14 Post: 62005
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

I am a little confused about the shaf measurements. I know The PTO shaft is not the same as the 2210 as I waited for weeks to get a new shaft shipped from Japan when Mine broke. They actually had one in stock for the X series which they had initially thought was the same. Both the X and the 2000 series are limited catagory 1 which as far as I can tell is only relative to lift weight and height. The shafts I have gotten with other stuff I had left the full length and cut myself so I know I got the proper fit due to the iMatch which sets everything a little further back. It will be interesting to see any how. My current genset is 5500 7500 surge. At the time (2000) Generac was the only one rateing their sets which such liberal margins. They now Have changed my model from the 5500XL to the 7500XL and the new 5500 is pretty small. Anyhow I can power about 1/2 my house. No dryer, No Ac. I run The Kitchen, Master Bath, Master Bedroom, Liveing room, Sump Pump and furnace. Initially I thought most power outages would be in ice storms. The opposite has turned out to be the case. I Think The JD one is 10k but that is already more than enough for me. I just dont want to get stuck in those gas lines in a pinch again. It does little good if I cant get fuel.

08-17-2003, 12:49 Post: 62006
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

I was looking at the Voltmaster brand PTO generators. What I am missing is that none of the gensets I am seeing except the JD seem to have any hitch points. I see some have a small trailer option sort of like you might expect to see with a wood splitter. Do theese operate with the shaft at a angle ? I'm a little puzzled but thats nothing new.

08-17-2003, 14:26 Post: 62008
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

The Northern Tool generator is listed as needing 24 PTO horses for full output. That's good for a 790 but not so good for the 2210/BX/41xx crowd.

Doc, you are right. If you price out the NT unit (assuming you had the HP to run it) and added a trailer and other missing elements, plus shipping, it pencils out more than the Deere unit.

What I was saying about PTO shafts is that I think the X unit uses a common shaft in terms of splines and diameter. But you would know best as you have actually seen one.

08-17-2003, 16:46 Post: 62022
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

I think you are right, but certainly not positive that they are a standard shaft in that regards. I am not sure if the differences were interior where the bearings are due to the X series PTO essentially being a bolt on option. The JD genset has 3 pth couplings to lift it, move it etc. I understand what you are saying about leveling and the shaft on the deere unit. I am puzzled about the others. If the NT model or any of that type are on a trailer and you back up to it with a telescopeing shaft how do you get the height correct to run a level shaft ??? Also the NT model says 24 pto hp for maximum out put. I dont need that much out put so my thought process, although often flawed is that 17 pto HP would produce the 7500 Kw I need, although at a higher price. I like the JD unit just trying to understand the mechanics of the other systems.

08-17-2003, 22:38 Post: 62034
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

I read that within reason, using a tractor with lower PTO HP is not a problem with the PTO generators, it will just make less power. Now I am not suggesting a 100KW /200 PTO HP generator would make 12KW with my 24 PTO HP tractor cause I probably couldn't spin it. I would however, think that your 17hp PTO tractor could work a 24 pto HP generator with a little less output.

08-18-2003, 06:03 Post: 62041
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

That's an idea that may work reasonably well for fairly fixed loads such as lighting that aren't subject to appreciable surges after startup. Surges stress the pto drive and large surges would shorten the drive life and particularly the clutch.

I suppose it's obvious but the tractor and generator have to carry whatever load is placed on them. A large generator on a small tractor doesn't just produce less output unless there's load limiting circuitry, which isn't found in ordinary equipment. A situation where the generator is capable of sustaining loads in excess of the tractor's HP can create problems. Even for lessor loads, it isn't a good idea to run an engine against its governor for extended periods.

An example of a problem from high surge loads is that it can lug an engine. When rpm falls off, AC frequency decreases. Current through motors and transformers increase, which further increase the loads. The engine will kill, or motors just won't come up to speed and will overheat if branch circuit breakers don't pop. I suppose it'd be possible for a small fractional motor to burn up without popping any breaker. Anyway, an oversized generator a bad idea unless there's certainty that only surges within the tractor's capacity are possible, and even then it's still hard on pto drives.

08-18-2003, 09:41 Post: 62064
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Lights POWERR AC-

I'm back, lights and A/C on, in fact I never lost them, the new backup system worked flawlessly, when the grid went down the automatic transfer switch rolled everything required onto the gen-set, lots of capacity, I even watched the satelite TV, although my ISP was down until Saturday am.

I however was required (actually I bribed my cousin to phone the Head of Domestic Affairs and fake it) at the farm since none of the employees that live off-site could get in, there was a travel ban imposed even if you had gas.

Here is a couple of observations from the black-out area experience;

1) there is NO LPG available during a black-out, if you don't have enough on-site when the lights go out, tough.

2) the use of Natural Gas was strictly curtailed, in most areas it was switched off completely for safety reasons.

3) there was NO black-out induced crime (in Toronto & area), the closest thing to a 'prowler' we had was the wife said the dogs went crazy about 11pm Thursday, when she flipped the yard lights on see what the problem was there were 3 coyotes standing there bewildered.

4) line-ups for gasoline (and to a lesser extent for food) were long, about 2 hours in most cases, as Doc mentioned, diesel was usually readily available. Oil dealers were delivering diesel, colored and 'normal', to regular customers and keeping up with demand easily (they even called to see if we wanted a top-up on the gen-set).

All in all the only serious repercussions may show up in the maternity ward sarting around the middle of May 2004, Laughing out loud.

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Website Operations Howto Forum

Thread 61924 Filter by Poster:
Chief 1 | DRankin 7 | Ducati996 1 | F350Lawman 9 | harvey 1 | kwschumm 6 | Misenplace 16 | Murf 6 | Peters 1 | StephenR 1 | TomG 6 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Electric - LED light bulb hum
LED light bulb hum

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ TP members coming and going
+ What Display Resolution Does your PC have
+ Any suggestions
+ Tractorpoint Site Improvement Survey
+ Survey How Did You Find the CTB
+ Slow Response Time for Tractor Point
+ Houses Sinking
+ Ruger 357 Maximum
+ Registering on Tractorpoint