discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

12-27-2010, 08:19 Post: 175962
ejack11

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Gator 620i gas in engine oil

Don't take this wrong but what you found is a way around the problem. We bought our Gator to use around the farm and for hunting "which is what I thought they were made for". Some days thats working it hard, pulling equipment around and running it for long periods of time, but more times than not it just riding back and forth to the barn which is about 800 yards one way. My gator is putting gas in the oil so fast that with in 20 hours of an oil change it is about a 1/2" to 1" over full. JD says all gas engines put gas in the oil when they are cold and then they burn it off when they heat up. The dealer told me they had this problem with I think he said the 90's gator. I had a 2X4 gator before this one and all we did with that was drive back and forth to the barn it never got worked hard "no suspension had no choice". Obviously all gas engines don't do it. Sad to see JD not standing behind this and now I see from the other posting not standing behind a fuel pump issue. I wonder if they have lemon laws on UTV's. Hell they cost as much as some cars.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 12-27-2010, 08:49 Post: 175963
gatoraider

Filter by User

Gentlemen, Allisman figured it out a year or so ago. The motor has no O2 sensor so the computer dumps gas in there at the same rate all the time. How can a fuel injected motor operate properly without an oxygen sensor? It can't. Deere isn't going to retro fit every XUV with a computer, O2 sensor and wiring harness to fix the problem. So they make up lies to try and appease the poor owners that are complaining. They made a mistake and are not owning up to it, or making any attempt to really fix it. If you have an XUV,cover the radiator up until the red light comes on then uncover it a little bit. Mine is almost completely covered and the fan doesn't even come on.

12-27-2010, 09:26 Post: 175964
ejack11

Filter by User

I don't quit get that because you want more fuel when it's cold and leaned out as it heats up. With out the O2 it defently can't adjust to be efficent but I would think the problem with that would show up once it got hot. Maybe it just compensates off of engine temp richer cold than leans out when hot. Don't know how they do it or try to do it. I just had mine back to the dearler, they changed the oil and tweaked on the fuel. I can tell they leaned it way out, it almost cuts off when cold but doesn't. Hopfully this will help, they did give me the extended 2yr warranty but only because I bought a tractor.

12-27-2010, 10:11 Post: 175965
gatoraider

Filter by User

What you say makes sense. I think the problem is when the motor is warm and not to the hot stage, that could be where the sensors are. If the sensors think the motor is still cool they will keep it rich. I think an O2 sensor would cut back on the fuel in this range. I know there are other sensors on it. The main problem is the motor never heats up. I just don't think Deere did enough testing before they put it in a Gator.

12-27-2010, 10:31 Post: 175966
ejack11

Filter by User

I guess the biggest problem here is JD's lack of concern or action to make it better. I know it's been said somewhere in this string, when you buy JD you pay top dollar for what is suppossed to be the best. I have a 4720 tractor and a zero turn that I love. I actually love the gator minus the problem. It's just big business and bean counting - it will cost them less money to piss off and loss some customers than it would to admit a problem and correct it. Sad but true.

12-27-2010, 10:43 Post: 175967
pontpines

Filter by User

Main problem is ethanol in your gas and aluminum block causing wsahing in cylinder. Chnage oil& filter frequently, use ethanol treatment in your gas. If problem does not resolve you will probably have to havecylinder rebored & go to bigger piston. Upside is more power down side is that unfortunatly your machine is no longer under warranty

12-27-2010, 17:57 Post: 175979
ezdarin

People do occasionally have this problem, the issue is the programming in the ECU. They (Kawi) have to make it rich when the engine is cold to promote engine idling and acceleration. They are sure that 10% fuel in the oil is acceptable and will not affect the engines life. It is most often caused by prolonged running at low temperatures. Take it out and exercise it more often. You will enjoy it so will your Gator!

03-06-2011, 14:02 Post: 177222
gator2times

Filter by User

I have had three of the older style gators..the 6X4 mods NOT fuel injected but all had this problem. Newist one is a TH 2005 air cooled engine and it was the worst( gas in the oil ) The way I use them is short distance and shut off. We use them to work on the rancho here and this is how it is.

This problem used to drive me nuts and I always got the same BS from any JD guy I talked to about the problem.

This is what I surmised as the problem and solution for me.. 1 engine card set way too rich and not burning all of the fuel if the motor does not warm up. ( for years we just drove around with a set of spark plugs and a plug wrench in the glove compartment, develop ear for fouling plugs, change back plug frequently and check and change oil frequently.

however about two years ago I though about using the new spark plugs developed for ethenal fuels. SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMNT. I wouldn't say the problem is solved but it is much better. We still drive aaround with spark plugs but the incidence of replacement is much less and I don't seem to be getting gas in the oil unless someone else drives it that is totally tone deaf and too lazy to replace the plugs. The plugs I am using are the NGK Ridium 6441. you may need a different plug for your engine. The plugs I buy are around $7 each so I bought a plug cleaner from HF much happier now...

However the reason I am on this board was to research the fuel injected gators... thinking maybe they would not have this problem. Boy was I wrong...

03-06-2011, 14:02 Post: 177223
gator2times

Filter by User

I have had three of the older style gators..the 6X4 mods NOT fuel injected but all had this problem. Newist one is a TH 2005 air cooled engine and it was the worst( gas in the oil ) The way I use them is short distance and shut off. We use them to work on the rancho here and this is how it is.

This problem used to drive me nuts and I always got the same BS from any JD guy I talked to about the problem.

This is what I surmised as the problem and solution for me.. 1 engine card set way too rich and not burning all of the fuel if the motor does not warm up. ( for years we just drove around with a set of spark plugs and a plug wrench in the glove compartment, develop ear for fouling plugs, change back plug frequently and check and change oil frequently.

however about two years ago I though about using the new spark plugs developed for ethenal fuels. SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMNT. I wouldn't say the problem is solved but it is much better. We still drive aaround with spark plugs but the incidence of replacement is much less and I don't seem to be getting gas in the oil unless someone else drives it that is totally tone deaf and too lazy to replace the plugs. The plugs I am using are the NGK Ridium 6441. you may need a different plug for your engine. The plugs I buy are around $7 each so I bought a plug cleaner from HF much happier now...

However the reason I am on this board was to research the fuel injected gators... thinking maybe they would not have this problem. Boy was I wrong...

03-07-2011, 19:51 Post: 177248
MrChris

Filter by User

I own an '06 TH 6x4 Gator from new with 1300 hrs on it now. I've never experienced oil in the gas. I change the oil every 100 hrs myself. We do a lot of short trips on hilly terrain to feed our horses and also to scoop our pastures, shutting the gator off and restarting quite frequently. I'm surprised to hear about gas in oil with the air cooled engine. I know the pre '05 6x4s are water cooled.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Thread 168497 Filter by Poster:
9900ix 1 | AllisMan 2 | berryday38 1 | cabbellgroup 2 | ejack11 14 | ezdarin 1 | gator2times 8 | gatoraider 4 | gatorboy 1 | greg_g 1 | hardwood 6 | kwschumm 1 | MrChris 3 | pepperman 1 | pontpines 2 | rpfeffer 5 | stwist 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
captdenny

John Deere Gator - front leak  oil on garage floor
front leak oil on garage floor

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ JD Gator only runs with choke
+ Snapping noise in front and rear ends
+ Gator 620i gas in engine oil
+ What is Normal Compression
+ Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
+ John Deere Gator water in the oil
+ Is a Gator TS good for pushing snow
+ snow plow wiring
+ First Gator