discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [ 5 ] | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

03-12-2011, 07:54 Post: 177356
hardwood

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Gator 620i gas in engine oil

We had an HPX till the XUV came out with fuel injection. It seems that every company that's been around a while has built a model of this or that which wasn't a demonstration of their best engeneering. Ours was always a pain to get started when cold and there didn't seem to be any fix for the problem.
I was ready to trade the HPX for any color other than green but the dealer asked me to try the fuel injected XUV. I did demo it, liked it and traded. I'm not sure what year that was but the XUV's were new, I think I bought the first one from the dealership. So far it has never failed to start and keep running cold or hot.
The gas in the oil thing, I'd never heard of the problem till after the XUV's had been around a while. So far we haven't had the problem with any Gator, but perhaps I change the engine oil too often to have any gas buildup. Whatever the oil change interval is shown in an owners manual for any small engine I cut it in half for example a 100 hour interval in the book I change at 50 hrs.
Frank.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-19-2013, 22:20 Post: 186425
stwist

JD 625i gator gas in oil about every 10 hours -- 1/2 inch over dipstick mark. Only has 88 hours on it. 'Still under JD warranty. JD Service Dept. advised to drive at least 30 minutes every time -- not acceptable for my use. (They should have told me, when I bought it, if that was a necessary requirement.) This is the second time I'm bringing it in for inspection by the dealer. I'm so frustrated, I want to give it back. Does anyone know how to rectify this problem?

03-20-2013, 08:45 Post: 186427
rpfeffer

Filter by User

I have the same problem but I have the optional heater which makes it harder to warm up.I put a temp. gauge in the heater hose and run it long enough to see the temp.Not usually a problem in the warmer months.I have 650 hrs. so far so good. I live in Ohio .

03-20-2013, 08:56 Post: 186428
ejack11

Filter by User

If there is a fix JD doesn't know it. Mine has the same problem, about 10hrs and the crank case is so full of gas and oil that it will start missing and smoking. I just drain the oil and put in new don't even touch the filter. My dealer even gave me a buletin from JD that all gas engines build up gas in oil and if you don't run them long enough to heat up and burn off it will build up. Total BS, bottom line is you have a $13k piece of crap and JD won't stand behind it. The part that kills me is they think it's OK to tell us we need to run them for a 1/2 hour everytime we start them up, don't know about you but we got our to run back and forth to the barn mostly "thought that was what they were made for". I'll quit now, I could right a book bitching about this but it won't do any good.

03-21-2013, 14:03 Post: 186439
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I'm not doubting anyone who tells of the gas in the oil situation. We still have the same 620i that we bought when they first came with fuel injection I don't remember the hours, I'd have to look but I'm guessing 500+.
Maybe a few habits we have that others don't that may effect the oil problem.
1 - We seldom use it in the winter.
2 - Use only the recommended grade of Deere branded engine oil.
3 - It gets used for longer periods of time, sometimes a couple hours without shutting the engine off.
4 - I tend to change the engine oil much more often in the Gator, or any small engine that holds a quart or so of oil than the owners manual recommends.

I really don't know if any or all of my habits contribute to not having the problem, but so far we haven't. I smell the oil every time I drain it.

Frank.

03-22-2013, 09:45 Post: 186446
gatorboy

Checking my new/used HPX for gas in the oil by by changing oil. It is now over full by about 1/2 quart after about 15 hrs. I think/hope the previous owner may have over filled it right before he sold it. However I don't remember it being but a 1/4 quart over the full mark. If I have a problem I guess with all the start and stop operation a monthly oil change will be my solution. Any ideas on that as a solution would be appreciated.

03-22-2013, 14:00 Post: 186451
gator2times

Filter by User

Hey guys .. this is an old thread but I am will to share my two cents.. I have had three of the 6x4 gators..( two currently ) I use them around the barn. All trips are short stop start trips. All of then had this problem. One has the air cooled engine.. it is the worst. I blew a crank seal out of that one about two days after warranty.

Don't ask me why I would ever by JD again but I have two of the 825s also now..LUV em..

But back to the other gator questions: Loooong story short;

First buy a box of hot plugs for it. On mine I have used NGK BPR2ES and NGK RIDIUM 6441

Second: buy a dedicated spark plug socket and ratchet to have in the gator at all times

Third: buy a spark plug cleaner ( Harbor Freight )

Develop an ear for when the plus are fouling.. If the gas is being fired.. you will not have gas in your oil...

Change those plugs frequently. if you have an ear for it. you will know when. I know this sucks but it is the only solution I have found and this works for me.

The knuckleheads at JD know about the problem but they "ain't gonna fix it"

Good Luck

03-25-2013, 08:21 Post: 186481
ejack11

Filter by User

For what it's worth - I have a 625I I think 2010 with a 130hrs - took mine back to the dealer at 20hrs gas in oil - they tried tweeking the fuel system probably leaning it out, but long story short told me I was not using it right "not driving it long enough to warm up, you think if that was such an important thing it would come with a temp gauge" Given that is all total BS "I am a mechanic and own my own repair shop, not small engine" I did send out an oil sample for analysis - they can not actually check for gas but it was low vis. and high water traces "no metal" mine runs fine, when it does start to smoke and miss it is because the crank case is so full that the pistons
ods start slapping the oil in the crank case when I get on a incline. Now I just drain the old oil and put in fresh don't even touch the filter "most the time". The hotter plugs does make since but was afraid to void warranty at time what the warranty is worth I don't know. The bad part is I could not sell it to someone like this so I guess I'll be trading it in on something orange in the future. The other bad thing is I have a JD zero turn, riding mower and 66HP tractor - now I have no faith in the company.

08-10-2015, 10:38 Post: 193284
cabbellgroup

Filter by User

I have the same gator with the same problem. Where are you in VA? I am
near Charlottesville. 21.5 acres. Very upset about this. Gator only has 204 hours on it.

08-10-2015, 10:40 Post: 193285
cabbellgroup

Filter by User

I have the same gator with the same problem. Only 220 hours on my 620i. Called 15 dealers across the U.S. They all say you have to run the engine for20 minutes each time you start it. I do this and it still has the same problem. I am near Charlottesville, VA.

Have you found a solution?

Interested in forming a group to go to John Deere?
(434) 244-3535

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [ 5 ] | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Thread 168497 Filter by Poster:
9900ix 1 | AllisMan 2 | berryday38 1 | cabbellgroup 2 | ejack11 14 | ezdarin 1 | gator2times 8 | gatoraider 4 | gatorboy 1 | greg_g 1 | hardwood 6 | kwschumm 1 | MrChris 3 | pepperman 1 | pontpines 2 | rpfeffer 5 | stwist 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
joyce1

Just For Fun Off Topic - Too much Snow Too Soon for me
Too much Snow Too Soon for me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ JD Gator only runs with choke
+ Snapping noise in front and rear ends
+ Gator 620i gas in engine oil
+ What is Normal Compression
+ Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
+ John Deere Gator water in the oil
+ Is a Gator TS good for pushing snow
+ snow plow wiring
+ First Gator