discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Plumbing Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

06-04-2006, 05:21 Post: 130394
wingwiper

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

Broken

Besides sediment filling in the well pipe, you may have had a slight Earthquake and that may have caused the Rock Strata to shift and severe your source from your well.
Had a guy here hire a fellow with a dowsing rod and the fella told him where to drill, he decided that is where he wanted to build his house, so he drilled about 30 feet from where he was told. Well! he hit water and everything was fine for about a year and then Vermont had an Earthquake and after that he had NO WATER at all, not even a trickle.
So there is a house in Chittenden VT that has now water and if they want water, will have to drill in the basement to get it.
Good luck

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-04-2006, 11:18 Post: 130401
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

If you call your well guy, they may want to sell you on another spot in the yard, and of course all the peripherals that are associtaed with a new well all over again.

If your well guy is worth his salt, he will suggest hydro-frac'ing the well (drilled well systems). This is similar to the concept of blasting the bullets into the pipe, however, what is done is an air bladder gets inserted into the existing well line. It gets expanding to form a seal within the well walls. Then a blast is sent down into the well causing a "fracturing" to take place hopefully allowing additional springs to open, that ultimately were sealed off during the original drilling, or by impaction of sediment over time. Usually, there is a guarantee of increase by the company doing the frac'ing, to minimally double the ouput.

Needless to say, hydrofrac'ing will not work on a dug well...here you must get in with a ladder and gear to clean it out by hand.

I have both - that is, an old dug well that started out by being 21 feet deep back in the fifties, and is now about fifteen feet deep along with alot of sediment. My other well, that feeds the house, is a true artisian ~ never stops at 1 gpm, that's right...1 gpm run off. I have irrigation hoses and spigets all over the op of my well cap that water my flower gardens thru-out the summer. In the winter, I have had to install a valve to redirect the flow to a dry well, just so the yard and driveway does not ice over.

In the house, I still use the shallow well pump. Even though I have a drilled well at some 140 feet, no submersible pump. There is sufficient pressure to push the water right into the shallow well pump in my pump room in the house. It has been going like this for about fifteen years now. Not everybody has the luck for an aquafir as this...

Your situation brings to light an interesting question though. Besides the fact something does infact need to be done for the limitations that you are experiencing now, subdevelopment in the area and beyond has a major impact in the water table. Bear in mind, that the more holes that are punched into the ground, the less pressure there is to push it out, as the pressure holding abilities have been compromised under ground.

Any new housing going on in or around the area? It could be as far away as 70 or 80 miles, having an effect on your water table.

- Willie H

06-04-2006, 15:16 Post: 130412
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

Harvey, hopefully they just didnt hit a large bouolder. Laughing out loud
Do you know if they can tell what they are drilling into just by the slag coming back up?

06-05-2006, 17:48 Post: 130493
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

IM GETTIN SICK!!!! Harvey you JINXED ME!!!!!!!
We are at 189' LAST I HEARD, Nope that wouldnt be the sound of artesians playin in my water, that would be my stomach contents hitting the ground!
So much for cutting the overtime back to 50 hours a week for the summer.

Willie, no developement anywhere. We are pretty rural Laughing out loud
I got to drive 9 miles to get to a small town and 55 miles to get to any town of any size at all.

06-05-2006, 22:46 Post: 130503
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

brokenarrow -

I can appreciate being rural ~ I have a little better than a hours drive to get to the interstate highway, and would not have it any other way.

I recently had a neighbor (down the road a good piece) drill a well. The well drill rig was working from 7:30 am until 4:00 pm every weekday for three weeks! What a sludge pit and run...Not a lot of water or recovery either, infact I think I can still hear his jaw hitting the ground when he learned of the depth, oh, and the final bill !

I am sure he had a contract for x number of feet etc, but it was still a whopper of a finale!

One of the nastiest rock species in our area up here, is what is known 'round these parts as Cheshire Quartz ~ wicked nasty to drill thru - eats bits up real fast, and needless to say slows the entire process considerably.
Curious as to what type of subsurface you're finding.

- Willie H

06-06-2006, 22:04 Post: 130559
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

Thru the grapevine I have heard that the original driller was not in bedrock Laughing out loud! Must of hit a very large boulder or something! That he laid the pipe on at 40 feet. From what I have heard (have not contacted or been contacted by the driller yet) he was bringing up a yellow/brown shale type material the whole way, from 44 feet to his present depth of around 190. Supposedly around 165 he strated bringing up a different material and then at 180 he was bringing up hard clay colored (grey0 material when he stopped.
I am supprised I did not get a call from anyone yet.
Now I wonder what they do? Run a smaller dia. casing thru the larger one? Sure I will find out soon what the damages are.

06-07-2006, 04:08 Post: 130578
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

Sorry BA, It was not my intent to hex your well.

I've been around a few. The alarms went off real early in this thread.

PS I know you were kidding about the hex...

06-13-2006, 22:00 Post: 130826
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

Im pissed! I think I am getting layed away. Was told to day that I am in the hole (litterally) for 4K. (For the hole that was dug) Im cool with that but then he tells me he wants to use a steel pipe to hang the pump from instead of plastic just incase something falls ontop of the pump. (HMMMM) I ask him how much he says anouther 8 hundred atleast! (Hmmmm) I ask how much water I have now, he says, " oh you have atleast a few gallons a minuit" (Hmmm) A few??? Didnt you pump it to find out? Im burnning up now. He tells me that he would have toi use his truck to drop the steel pipe holding the pump down the well, ya know there are a few soft spots in that hole???
Hmmmm.... Me smells something here? I told him Id get back to him.
I call my buddy up there and ask his opinion since he used to be a driller out west and he saw what was brought up by my well guys. My buddy tells me that they brought nothing but soft crap up till the last 20 feet and then it was marginal for how hard the material might be! SO This tells me that my hole!!!!! Will colapse sooner or later, RIGHT????? Or am I wrong? I should have casing down thru this soft crap right? Me thinks I need to get anouther well guy in there to tell me if I am getting wet and dont know it? What do you all think? Ya think I should drop a pump thru 40 feet of casing and then anouther 100 foot of JUST DRILLED hole (and it is soft crap not rock?) Laughing out loud

Yep, I think I feel something wet and warm running down my back and I dont think its the Summer thunderstorm the well driller is telling me that is making me wet!

06-14-2006, 03:40 Post: 130830
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

I am very concerned that they did not install new casing.

If the walls do collapse and you do have to pull the pump whats the point, you will not get it back down the hole anyway. I don't think.

I would want the well cased. Even if you have to use a liner on your current casing. Big enough to get your pump down.

Back to basics what do your neighbors have?

06-14-2006, 20:49 Post: 130875
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Well Water Problems

Harvey
I called the guys who actually drilled my new well, (remember, my driller had to sub it out since he was backed up) I called to ask him his opinion of what he was drilling thru. He told me that he noticed that my water table had fallen to just barely above the pump (he could tell by the old water line on the pipe holding the pump. He said that within 15 feet of drilling he had more water coming in than before (how he knew I dont know, maybe by what was pulling back up?) Said that it was soft in spots but pretty much the same material for most of the way down to 170' from there down to 188 it was a harder material and he notice quit a bit more water. I asked him about putting the pump down with out casing, he said that he thought it was OK also. They had one guy about 3 miles away like me and his well filled in by only 10 feet (of crap falling from the sides) bottomline is that he saw nothing wrong. Laughing out loud! Anyways, he went on to say that IF they were to ADD on to my existing casing then they would legally have to make some changes. Like pulling up the existing casing and then enlargening the first 40 foot.
He said that I would be adding about $2,500 to my well cost.
Like I said, I am just sick! What ever happened to the $5000, 150 foot deep well with casing 125 foot down?
I can't help but think I am getting it rammed right up my behind!
Explain to me this??????? If well drillers are charging 25-28 a foot of drilled well (including casing) how can my 144 foot of NEW UNCASED well hole cost 4 grand (FOR JUST THE HOLE, NO CASING!)
I better go take a prevacid and forget about this for awhile, now I see why folks end up un explainably lieing in a shallow depresion in the ground checking out the amouint of time it takes for a person to decompose secretly! More and more it seems like folks that do an honest days work for and honest dollar are harder to find!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Plumbing Forum

Thread 127835 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 1 | Blueman 1 | brokenarrow 10 | Chief 2 | DennisCTB 2 | harvey 7 | kthompson 1 | Murf 1 | Peters 2 | SG8NUC 3 | sloancon 1 | WillieH 2 | wingwiper 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - House Fire Near Me
House Fire Near Me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Septic Tank Pumping -- Do you need to
+ Septic System-Problem
+ Water softeners
+ Pex vs Copper replace Copper Pin holes
+ Well Water Problems
+ D I Y septic system
+ Sink overflows
+ Drain field and vegetable garden
+ Jacuzzi Tubs Bacteria Sanitize and Septics