discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Plumbing Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

05-30-2003, 06:52 Post: 55966
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

Good grief. With a 20' casing and low recovery rate the well likely would contain mostly surface water, and those leaching fields are 25' away. Doesn't sound like the drillers found an aquifer in their 550' of drilling. I wonder if they even have their pint recovery now with the added casings? Expensive isn't the only thing that glass of water would be with only 20' of casing there.

The boomer of a system that put our local hotel out of business did use concrete tanks, but I haven't seen any but the plastic for residential use lately. Like Jeff's good reason, our Township had to have a concrete tank dug and reparged after about five years. The system sits near a riverbank and not many feet above high water. It probably shouldn't be there in the first place so they have to take extra care with it.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-09-2003, 09:05 Post: 57159
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

Well update -

So, the well was put in, the rig had returned to install an additional 100 feet + of casing after realignment with the original piece, then the plumber showed up to connect to the house/camp.

I awake to the sound of an excavator chewing up the newly refinished lawn area where the rig once stood. I take a walk over only to realize that the excavator has dug up almost the entire front yard. I thought he was merely digging a trench to secure the house water supply pipe to the pitless adapter, no way!

Come to find out, being so close to the existing leach / septic fields, the drill rig apparently crushed the septic system...now having to excavate and repair the damages.
One boat load of trap rock went into that yard that day!

The homeowner, you ask, where is he during all this?...
He still has not showed his face, as I'm sure that he is merely assessing every element of this fiasco, and getting his information inorder for one heck of a court battle!

Can't wait for the first cup of water that he offers!

Willie H.

06-10-2003, 05:34 Post: 57251
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

Yikes Willie! This saga is starting to make my neighbour's problems sound like a picnic. The next chapter could be that the health inspector gets involved and decides the septic systems aren't up to code and the leaching field can't be repaired without bringing the whole system up to code. And then, a following chapter might be that a survey determines that a conventional system can't pass codes on the property. That's how a hotel near here got the $60K system that eventually bankrupted the business. It's story also started with equipment breaking leaching field tiles. Last chapter in a terminal story might be that the owner took an easy dig contract and can only argue negligence in court. Oh well, there's always composting toilets. Hope the real story comes out a little better.

There are a few things in this saga and my possible subsequent chapters that rural property owners should think about.

06-19-2003, 00:55 Post: 57981
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

Time for an update on the new well!

The yard is now all backfilled with "second quality soil", seeded, rolled, and hayed/strawed over.
I commented to the guy seeding and rolling the area about how nice it was to see it all closed up again. He, being quasi close with the owners, agreed. Soon after, he left.

About two hours later, as I was walking my dog up the street, I saw one of the local propane delivery trucks approaching the area. Still being only 100-150 feet away, I saw the tanker, back-up into the yard that was recently finished.

I thought to myself, there ought to be some good ruts left when he leaves. Turns out, that was the least of the problems for the truck driver.

As he has delivered to this address for several years, he was quite familiar with where he needed to place the truck for filling. The only thing was, he never realized that there was a two foot high well casing, now sitting at the aft end of where he usually parks.

To hear the sound of the heavy steel frame bumper on this tanker back into and push/bend the newly installed well casing, was a sound that I won't soon forget! OUCH!!!
Campowners yet to arrive for the season.

Willie H.

06-22-2003, 05:56 Post: 58110
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

Sure sounds like this is passing the work around local insurance adjusters--assuming that the contractors are insured. Wonder if the camp owners know that they'll likely have enough water from all this to brush their teeth and little else, if that's what they really want to do (assuming the deeper casings actually work).

07-08-2003, 07:51 Post: 59113
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

I visited with the owner's of the new well over the fourth of July weekend. (NO, did NOT have any water to drink). They did not have much to say about the well, however, he is sporting a very attractive, heavily equipped, new sport fishing boat package, and in great spirits. Hmmm?, the plot thickens...

Willie H.

07-08-2003, 08:26 Post: 59117
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

That is beginning to sound vaguely like a story that unfolded just up the street from here about 10 years back.

It was a house on a 10 acre parcel that had been severed out of a farm years ago. At the time of landscaping the new house the (then) owner had planted a row of Colorado spruce trees along the entire south and west sides of the property as a means of buffering against the blow sand that comes from the freshly plowed fields. Thirty'ish years later the house sells and the new owner calls a local land surveyor to update the survey and to mark out the property lines. It seems the surveyor had a keen new employee with a keen new axe, the employee skinned all the branches off the far side of EVERY tree (1000' worth) on the west side of the property.

When the surveyor dropped off the new plan and asked for payment the owner showed him the trees and asked for HIS payment. The insurance company obtained 3 quotes, one from yours truly, and paid the owner in CASH for the lowest one.

To this day there is a line of one-sided trees there, but from the new swimming pool the view is the same as it always was, only the farmer can see the bare side.

Best of luck.

09-14-2003, 19:34 Post: 63870
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

<<<< NEWS FLASH >>>>

Ok, so it is not a news flash - just an update!
So the summer went by, the neighbor enjoyed his NEW fishing boat, and one by one, the camps are being closed up for the season once again. Now...the road contractors come out and start repairing / repalcing roads and bridges. Just about in front of our houses, sits an old bridge, concrete abutments that were poured in 1928, that don't exactly run parallel to the town road or it's curve that meanders thru it. In fact, the curve invites you to T-bone the bridge abutment as it is skewed from parallel from both the road, as well as the other abutment. Anyway...
The bridge crew showed up with all the equipment - cranes, excavators trailers, etc. No place else to park except...that's right. Right over the new septic and well fields that the neighbor had put in in the spring. Laughing out loud (I'm laughing anyway). The goof... the contractors merely blame it on the "rain", that of which we have not had in a long while now, as the trailers and crane now have sunk nearly a foot and a half into the new "lawn"! Sounds to me like another insurance settlement on the horizon!
Stay tuned...

Willie H.

09-15-2003, 06:04 Post: 63882
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

This saga is starting to recall Forest Gump--'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll find.'

Our township has a mild version right now. The well tested positive for bacteria and the explanation was that town hall isn't using enough water. Running a tap for a half-hour each morning didn't solve the problem. Crew dug up the well and discovered a very strange one. It looked like somebody used two 30" dug well tiles on top of a drilled well casing that was buried 5.5' below grade. The cover was about a foot below grade.

The well sits just outside the left field foul-line of our ball field, and that part of the field accumulates a lot of water on the surface during heavy rains. It seems like water runs around the cover and the tiles hold it on top of the drilled well casing. There was almost 2' of wet muck on top of the well head. It might not have been too bad an idea except that it's not really a drilled well. It's only one section of casing that goes down about 20' from the well head. Odd, but they couldn't pump the well dry. Speculation is that water in the tiles percolating down along the drilled casing contaminates the area.

What's the connection here? Well, the tile cover was cracked and only the reinforcing mesh was holding it together. I don't imagine it got cracked from fielders diving for line-drives and I imagine a 3/4-ton driver nearly got a surprise. After we figured it out it took the Township about 3 days to motivate their contractor to get those tiles out of there and weld an extension for a pitless adapter. So now we've got a hazard sitting near the field with a picnic table over it. Figure that one out later I guess.

10-15-2003, 20:44 Post: 66338
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 D I Y septic system

Just when you thought it was all covered up...for good!

We have seen enough dilemmas stem from this septic / well nightmare that the neighbors have endured to last a life time and beyond. Now with the heavy storm winds that came thru last night, wouldn't you know, that one of our 2+ foot diameter pines decided to uproot along side the neighbors line and topple over on his house...besides disturbing the recently repaired leaching field ! ARRRGH! The amazing thing about this, is that so long as the tree was in good health prior to its toppling, the other homeowner's policy is responsible for the damages / repairs...not mine. Had the tree been dead or dying, then my homeowners policy would be liable for damages, as it would have shown negligence on my behalf for not taking it down earlier.
Straight from my insurance agent to TP...No kidding!

-Willie H.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Plumbing Forum

Thread 53566 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 2 | BillBass 1 | By the Brook Farm 2 | dsg 1 | grinder 1 | harvey 2 | HuckMeat 1 | jeff r 1 | Murf 3 | Peters 2 | Ravenn 1 | TomG 9 | WillieH 10 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Electric - LED light bulb hum
LED light bulb hum

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Septic Tank Pumping -- Do you need to
+ Septic System-Problem
+ Water softeners
+ Pex vs Copper replace Copper Pin holes
+ Well Water Problems
+ D I Y septic system
+ Sink overflows
+ Drain field and vegetable garden
+ Jacuzzi Tubs Bacteria Sanitize and Septics