discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [ 6 ] | 7 | 8 |      << Prev | Next >>

08-16-2006, 12:14 Post: 133386
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Mississippi - state of mind

WW: Now you call me a liar. To what level won’t you stoop?

You claim to have six years post secondary education. Did you finish anything? This came up before and you made some off handed statement. With the way you write I would need to see the degree to believe it. What school let you through?

Any of the stats I have seen place the literacy in the South for the white population at greater than 80% in 1960. Why do you think they placed literacy demands at polls in MS after 1877. If the total man power was between 1.2 million and 1.7 million, the high number being inclusion of the Border States, and assuming 900,000, the mean number of the estimates, went to war at the maximum that leaves you with 344,000 illiterate from the man power pool or 38% of the army if all enlisted. If at bare minimum 62% could read and write don’t you think they read the papers and literature of the day. Why wouldn't they know what was going on? Again there is a long way from 62 percent to 1 percent and you have provided nothing to support your theories just started to bad mouth me.

If you read other posts, if you can, you would realize that I was born not far from Murf and raised in northern and southern B.C. What draft was I avoiding? What government G.I. bill? I made the equivalent of 150,000 a year in today’s money and sent myself through a private school at ~26K/year in today’s money.

I was not always trying to follow God and I did a lot of things that I am not proud of. Goading young marines in Vancouver into the first swing is not one of them. I started entering the bars at 16 and was never questioned. From working in the wood I looked much older. I also took marshal arts training and played hockey and rugby. Scrapping in the area I grew up was common place. With a bunch of loggers and fishermen it was a rough society. I lived in NE five years, just a few miles from Vermont, believe me it is a kinder gentler society.

Falling on the west coast the odds of being killed was one in one hundred per year. I was part of the first group to log with choppers in B.C. It was a learning proposition at this point and more dangerous than falling or High line work, which I had worked on previously. I saw friends hurt and a few killed. Odds of being terminated in Vietnam were 2% for the 15 years of the war. I spent 4 years working in the woods or 4%, probably or higher if I consider the work and the number of times I was with in a hairs breadth of being killed and the higher risk work I did.

I have no idea what ratios of benzene and polystyrene you were using for Napalm B. We used the old formula modified, diesel oil and natural rubber. We had a lighter on the end of the spigots and need it to flow deeper into the vegetation. We mounted them as drip torches under a chopper and used it on back backs. We used nitrates and diesel with a small stick of cut dynamite with the igniter. When you are blasting a lot of granite it pays to be cheap.

Link:   Literacy 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-16-2006, 13:46 Post: 133391
DenisS

Filter by User

Somehow we managed to get back to the topic:

" Why do you think they placed literacy demands at polls in MS after 1877"?

Eric, what is wrong with making sure only the educated are entrusted with political decision making power? Electricians and plumbers are required to demonstrate a level of competency before they can do their jobs, but you can be a total numbscull and still have a right to select the leadership of a nuclear superpower. Makes no sense to me.

08-17-2006, 06:50 Post: 133410
wingwiper

Filter by User

Peters
I just could not ignore you last post of B.S. I promise I won't answer you again, after this. I am laughing so hard at you right now, though, it really hurts.

What U.S. Marine Base was ever in Vancover B.C. or even within 500 miles of Vancover B.C.? See that is what I mean, You knew I was talking about U.S. Marines and you are talkin about some kind of Marine whatever in Vancover. Here is your line of B.S. "Goading young marines in Vancouver into the first swing is not one of them. I started entering the bars at 16 and was never questioned." "Concerning marines, you are like most I have met, right when wrong, always prepared for a fight and never willing to back down. Very predictable. In high school we thought it was sport to go down to the city and kick marine ass so we could be carded, sent home and have the marine in irons and have to admit he was thumped by a 16 year old."
"You claim to have six years post secondary education. Did you finish anything? This came up before and you made some off handed statement. With the way you write I would need to see the degree to believe it. What school let you through?" I claimed???? I made a point. It came up before?? Well maybe, I don't answer your question because it isn't any of your business and I don't Soapbox like you do. With the way I write and you need to see my degrees? Not in this life, Buckwheat.
"WW: So where did you come up with an estimate of 1 % not knowing anything about slavery? " Where did I write 1% did not know anything about slavery? You not only can't read well, you are confused and can not even quote numbers that are printed in front of you. PhD my ass.
"I made the equivalent of 150,000 a year in today’s money and sent myself through a private school at ~26K/year in today’s money." What the Hell is that suppose to mean? You mean you made $30,000 Canadian, back when, and thru Inflation and thru the rise of the Canadian Dollar it is now equal to $150,000 TODAY's Money?? Now is that U..S. or Canadian? and Big Friggin Deal. No one cares if you went to a Private School, no one cares how much you made then or now. You must really be a wannabe to use Today's Money value to make people think you were really a BIG Deal. Laughing out loud
"I also took marshal arts training and played hockey and rugby. Scrapping in the area I grew up was common place. With a bunch of loggers and fishermen it was a rough society. I lived in NE five years, just a few miles from Vermont, believe me it is a kinder gentler society." WOW! Now we are getting a Life History of a nutcase. You lived just a FEW miles from Vermont? Where and exactly how far is a FEW, I mean you are judging Vermont and yet you have NEVER been there. I grew up with Loggers and Farmers. Known many who have died in the Woods. Vermont was a BIG Logging State not too long ago. I guess you knew this, you only lived a FEW miles from Vermont for five years. Rolling on the floor laughingMAO, Kinder, gentler.. you had it so bad, you poor little thing. Give me a break. How the Hell do you even get on your soapbox?
Here is a line from your whatever "Odds of being terminated in Vietnam were 2% for the 15 years of the war. I spent 4 years working in the woods or 4%, probably or higher if I consider the work and the number of times I was with in a hairs breadth of being killed and the higher risk work I did." Hate to break the news to you, Buckwheat, Vietnam was NOT 15 years. It was 1963 to 1975. Unless you are counting 50 American Advisors a WAR. Even then the War as you saw on the News didn't start until 65 or 66. How did you come up with these percentages of 2% and 4%. Are we including Wounded as well, or loss of limbs? Belly shots don't rate mention in your comparisions? Laughing out loud. You were a hairs breadth away from Death? How do you measure that? How do you know you were ever near death if you didn't die?
"I was part of the first group to log with choppers in B.C. It was a learning proposition at this point and more dangerous than falling or High line work, which I had worked on previously." Now are you trying to imply for your Great Ego that you were a pilot or on the ground while the Choppers (what childish reference) flew overhead? were they 53s? or 46s? or were they Bells? Loaches? Cobras? Hueys? old 34s? what is a chopper in your reference? Peters you are way too funny. My gut hurts from laughing at you.
"I have no idea what ratios of benzene and polystyrene you were using for Napalm B. We used the old formula modified, diesel oil and natural rubber. We had a lighter on the end of the spigots and need it to flow deeper into the vegetation. We mounted them as drip torches under a chopper and used it on back backs. We used nitrates and diesel with a small stick of cut dynamite with the igniter. When you are blasting a lot of granite it pays to be cheap. " Back Backs??? Ours was mixed 45/35/20 or there abouts. we used Gasoline and NOT Diesel. We didn't want a quick poof, we wanted it to spread and burn, Hot, slower and cover larger areas, that was the job of the polystyrene. Ours were dropped in Cannisters, from aircraft. It sounds to me as you were using more of a piss poor Flame Thrower and used Diesel so you all wouldn't hurt yourselves. Interesting why you would have to mix Diesel with anything, seems it would have more of a tendancy to Gel and Jelly Napalm is worthless mostly when trying to push it through a nozzle. I am confused about Your OLD formula, the U.S. Military hasn't used it or made it in decades. So OLD meaning what? What is CUT DYNAMITE?
Here are some questions, see if you can answer them.

There are 10,000 Families
There are 4,000 Automobile Owners
What percentage of Familes have Automobiles?

Ok! try this one

There are 2,700 Home Owners
What Percentage of Familes Own Homes?

Maybe this one

There are 1,800 Dog Owners
What percentage of families own Dogs?

Ok, this one you already answered

There are 63015 Families
There are 30,943 Slave Owners
What percentage of families owned slaves?

I read your posts and find thm hilarious. I have never known anyone who loves to soabox as much as you and has such a WILD Imagination. Note, I have never said LIAR in any of my posts and yet you said "WW: Now you call me a liar. To what level won’t you stoop?" I will say, If the Shoe fits, wear it.

I swear this is my last post to you, I just couldn't help it. The Marine Part had me rolling, I thought you were referring to U.S. Marines and I could see this 16 year old popeye walking into a bar. Rolling on the floor laughingMAO, turns out it wasn't U.S. Marines after all, but maybe Marine Animals.

08-19-2006, 08:14 Post: 133476
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Denis: I see no problem with a literacy exam today for voting rights. You graduate high school, have a reading comprehension test and are given the right to vote. Theoretically everyone now has a chance to attend school. It might give them added incentives not to graduate people who can not read and for people to learn to read. The same thing should apply to citizenship.
Naturally both would require that the US designate English (or some other language) as the official language, something that the legislative branch of the government has not gotten around to in the last 230 years.
My point concerning MS was the white population could read and had schools. The black population could not and did not have the opportunity to schools. They had just been given their freedom. In the first election after the war the first black Congressmen were sent from MS. In Mississippi there were more slaves than white. The law was intent on having the black population remain subservient to the white. It is pretty hard to build schools for the people when you have no say in government.
The heart of it is that the average white man in MS must have been able to read. It would have been extremely difficult to pass a law that excluded the bulk of the white population and the bulk of the black. Naturally this contrary to what the plane polisher thinks.

08-21-2006, 09:12 Post: 133546
DenisS

Filter by User

Eric,
I understood what you meant by your comment on literacy requirements (and poll taxes for that matter). No question these policies were meant to suppress the black vote.

But there was also some validity in these policies as they identified the portion of the population that was less than prepared to make educated political decisions. The black population should have been gradually admitted into the political process as their education and standard of living rose to the levels of white population. Instead, the republican administration of that time instituted Reconstruction policies that trampled on states and property rights, completely antagonised the white population and led to the rise of KKK and subsequent anti-reconstruction reaction, including the resurrection of the Confederate Flag.

Having said all that, importing African slave labor was, by far, The stupidest thing in the history of this country.

08-22-2006, 05:56 Post: 133565
wingwiper

Filter by User

Denis

Actually! I would say putting all of Our EGGS in the Fuel Oil Dependancy Basket is the STUPIDIST thing we have done or rather doing.
Oil prices have put this country on her knees. As China increases demand we will have to pay more as the Prices rise under pressures of the highest bidders.
Our Nuclear Research has been stagnant.
Our Solar Research has been stagnant.
Our Thermal Research has been stagnant.
Our Wind Research has been stagnant.
Our Tidal Research has been stagnant.
and so on and so on. The Pressure to Research and develope in other areas has been lax. Our dependancy for Oil is a real self inflicted dependancy. We create Oil Hungry implements for items that worked well and were good for us, such as Push Lawn mowers to Gas Mowers and tractors. Brooms to Gas powered blowers, Bikes to ATVs, Axes to chainsaws, Candles to Generators, there is No question these items may be needed on a large scale but for the regular home owner they are oil consuming Luxuries that many can no longer live without and they DEMAND the Government to protect their OIL CONSUMPTION.
Our depandancy is where we can be put onto our knees, by Oil Rich Terrorist countries. It may cost us millions of lives as a result of the New Tech Wars. At least Slavery allowed the country to prosper. Our Oil depandancy is a Time Bomb with no real happy ending and the end of our Prosperity.

08-22-2006, 06:31 Post: 133566
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

WW: What about Big Business? They are the biggest stumbling block to progress. Case in point: Back in the '20's I had a great uncle who was a machinist for GM. On his own time he made a device that looked like a simple impellor that mounted between the carb and the intake of a Caddillac. It nearly doubled the fuel mileage. He contacted one of the big gasoline supplier of the time. They came out and bought his invention and the tools in basement for $3000.

Why?

They didn't need competition.

08-22-2006, 08:07 Post: 133568
wingwiper

Filter by User

Earth

True! in the Late Teens there was this guy who took a Ford and placed it on Stage, he had everyone come up to the car and inspect it for any hidden Fuel tanks or fuel supplies. When everyone was satisfied there was no fuel hidden anywhere, he attached a tank, filled it with WATER and added a large Tablet, something like the Old FAB TABS, into the tank, after a few minutes of allowing the Tab to desolve in the Water filled tank, he started the engine and it ran fine. He claimed the tab was made from Peat and Sod and some other stuff and that the recipe was so simple, no one would ever find it.
Rumor had it that the guy who invented the Tab was killed on his way to Washington to achieve a Patent on his invention, Furthur rumors said it was American Standard Oil People who killed him.
In the Mid to late 80s there was two guys in Florida who took a (Hamms ??) Diesel Engine, did $600 worth of modifications to it and then drove to Washington D.C. on $1.65 worth of Diesel Fuel. Ford Motor company called them while they were sitting in front of a large Committe and no one has heard another thing about it. I watched it on a 10 foot dish, long before there was Scrambling and the NEWS covered it for several days.
I just tried to do a google search on any of the experiments and there is not a word, that I am able to find.

Note; I understand when you add acceleration, braking, passing, hauling etc, a vehicle designed for incredible MPG will drop dramatically. If you want Torque you will pay to move. I have sat for hours in 10 mile long traffic jams, I have wondered all to often how much fuel was burned, Nationwide for poor timing of construction. Pa. started to do a lot of Night construction.

08-22-2006, 08:41 Post: 133572
DenisS

Filter by User

EW,
It's a free country - what stopped your uncle from marketing the invention himself?

WW,
Oil dependency is stupid but not the stupidest and here's why. We have the military wherewithalls to ensure our oil supply, we just don't have the resolve to do it.

Our nation has no unity of purpose because our national identity is slpintered among ethnic faultlines.

Do you hear what I'm saying? Race is a fundamental identifier imbedded deep in our genes; for millenia, identifying with your race allowed for your survival, that's why a man will nearly always side with "his people" regardless of what the circumstances of conflict are. To ignore this fact is to ignore human biology and when social policy goes against human biology, the biology always wins. People are herd animals and they prefer their own herd. We have too many different herds in this country and not that much pasture. Hence we have internal conflics related to our heterogeneity. We're weak from the inside. As long as the white majority ruled the country - America was strong and the minorities, though they had no political influence, were strong with it. Now the white majority is waning, the Western European civilization based on the Christian principles of Universal Redemption and the Triumph of Righteousness is being replaced by oriental philosophy of indifferent creation:

"Nature holds no prejudice and cares for all things the same. It views everything as so many straw dogs, neither loving nor hating them." Lao-Tzu , Tao, Chapter 5

The ethnic shifts in America are causing a growing internal strife and the external enemies see it and are starting to nip at our heels. Oil would be within our grasp had we really wanted it, but not everyone sees our fundamental need for it, minorities for the most part do not want to see America as the sole ruling superpower and so we're a house divided.

How did we get here? By importing millions of Africans and keeping them segregated from mainstreem for upwards of 200 years.

08-22-2006, 10:55 Post: 133575
wingwiper

Filter by User

Denis

You make it sound as if Black Slavery and White Americans is the ONLY Slave issue.
The American Indian has suffered slavery, massacres and sport shooting from Blacks and Whites. We grew up playing Cowboys and Indians and not Slaves and Slaves Owners. Yet even to this day, it is the Blacks who scream for pity and special attention and no one even asks where the Native American is or the Chinese American who toiled just as hard as any Black. Here in Vermont the poor Italians (White) were imported and used in the Quarries because of their Skills in sculpture.
There are only Three Human Groups, Cacausoid, Mongoloid and Negroid. Members of each group have been slaves for members of the other group over the centuries, the American White and Black were NOT the only case, it seems to be the only one that dwells decade after decade.
I agree 100% with your point "Our nation has no unity of purpose because our national identity is slpintered among ethnic faultlines" but do not agree with your very last statement. Many countries did the same thing and for many hundreds of years longer and do not dwell on it as we do.
Christopher Columbus was responible for tens of thousands of Native American Deaths and countless thousands were brought back to Spain, Portugal and other parts of Europe to be used as slaves.
Aztecs, Incas and Mayans would use captives as slaves and then as sacrfices.
Some countries would impale their captives by the hundreds along traveled roads to send messages. They would capture and breed the woman, enslave the children, use the men as slaves to row their war ships or entertain them in the arenas.
Slavery is a common word amongst every single nationality and members of every race have been a slave. Americans allow people to keep reminding them. We have had no slaves for well over 140 years and you would think it ended just last week.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [ 6 ] | 7 | 8 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Thread 132948 Filter by Poster:
brokenarrow 1 | DenisS 14 | earthwrks 19 | kthompson 6 | Peters 11 | SG8NUC 7 | wingwiper 20 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - Input shaft spline or keyed
Input shaft spline or keyed

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns for self defense
+ Problem Poster
+ women AHHHHH
+ America The Greatest Country on Earth
+ Neighbor easement problem
+ Weddings
+ Tuff Cop
+ My job just went offshore
+ Dealing PROPERLY with a terrorist O